If your animal, human or laboratory-based research study involves the use of controlled substances, you must ensure that you follow the health system research policy and process posted on the Intranet. Click on “I Need to Review a Policy,” then on Research Policies to access the following policies and forms:
- GR050 – Use of Controlled Substances in Research
- Authorized User Screening Form
Link to: Northwell Health Research Policies
(Note: You will be prompted for your Northwell Health username and password to access the Policies tab)
Prior to starting your research, you must do the following:
- Obtain the appropriate New York State research licensure AND DEA registration
- Read the Northwell Health research policy on the use of controlled substances in research.
- Ensure you have appropriate security and storage for the substances to be used. Note that requirements may vary depending on the schedule of drug to be used. Additional security measures such as cameras or room access card readers may need to budgeted and installed.
- Ensure that record keeping requirements will be performed by key individuals and documentation is clear and auditable.
- Staff are appropriately screened and authorized for access, and are aware of responsibilities.
Please contact the Office of Research Compliance at (516) 321-2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.