As a researcher, licensed practitioner, officer, key employee or trustee you are required to disclose annually any potential conflict of interest and update any changes within 30 days of acquiring a new significant interest in order to comply with federal and state laws.
The reporting period for this annual disclosure is for any external interests you have held in the past 12 months and any external interests you expect to hold in the next 12 months.
Basic science, animal and clinical researchers and individuals responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of research or those serving on institutional research review committees are required to do the following:
- Disclosure: complete an External Interest Disclosure (COI) electronically through COI Smart at least once a year, or within 30 days of any new significant financial interest. Disclosures will be reviewed by the Office of Research Compliance and sent to the Conflict of Interest Committee (COIC) for review if required.
- CITI Training in Conflicts of Interest through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) to meet educational requirements. Please note that Conflict of Interest training must be renewed every 4 years. Click here to access CITI training completion dates.
Non-employees conducting research at or on behalf of Northwell Health are required to comply with institutional policies pertaining to conflicts of interest. Researchers that are not employed by Northwell Health (e.g. students, volunteers, collaborators) for whom a disclosure is required must submit a request for access to COI Smart. Please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests for access to COI Smart: In order to access the system you need to have an active profile in COI Smart. If you received an automated email message including your username and an embedded link to COI Smart, you are active. For all other users, please contact email@example.com and access will be granted.
Applicable Northwell Health Policies and Guidance Documents
- 2017 Research Conflict of Interest (COI) FAQs
- GR065 Review and Management of External Interests (COIs) in Research (Individual)
- GR078 Review of External Consulting Agreements with Industry for Researchers Policy
- Global/National PI and Study Leadership COI Guidance
- Public Research Education Program (PREP) Courses
- PREP #11: Interactions with Industry – What Most Docs Ask About (Jan 2018)
- *PREP Course #10 Electronic External Interests Review & the HRPP Review Process (Jan 2018)
- *PREP #14: Intellectual Property and Conflict of Interest (Jan. 2017)
- *PREP #2: Start-ups and COI (Sept 2016)
- PREP #5: All About the Physician Sunshine Act/Open Payments (Sept. 2014)
*redirects to an embedded video. May not be accessible when using Chrome as your web browser.
- 800.03 Conflict of Interest and Recusal Policy
- 800.04 Gifts and Interactions with Industry
- 800.70 – Review and Management of Institutional Financial Conflict of Interest
- Outside Activity Form
- Code of Ethical Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest Brochure
- Gift-Industry Interaction Brochure
Thank you for your cooperation with this important endeavor.
Public requests for information regarding significant financial interests for key senior research investigators on NIH funded projects determined to be financial Conflict of Interests (fCOI) can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or (516) 465-7940.
Certification Status of External Interest Disclosures
For questions regarding conflicts of interests, contact:
Manager, Research Compliance
Office of Research Compliance
125 Community Drive
Great Neck, New York 11021
Phone: (516) 465-8384
Corporate Compliance Specialist
200 Community Drive
Great Neck, New York 11021
Phone: (516) 465-8097